The Garden Route is a coastal road that connects the provinces of the Western Cape and the Eastern Cape. It is one of the most famous roads in the country and above all a very beautiful road, where the fabulous landscapes follow one another: mountains, forests, lagoons and fine sandy beaches…
It is very simple, all you have to do is take the N2 and it will take you to Cape Town from Port Elizabeth.
You will have access to a very wide range of activities, all in a pleasant climate almost all year round: you can have lunch in a typical village, go through wild mountain passes, admire whales with both feet on the ground, play golf on robust courses, swim in modern seaside resorts, camp, eat, walk, swim, drive…
The Garden Route is for all tastes and all budgets!
Places that we advice :
– Mossel Bay is one of the biggest stop you can make during your road trip. Known for its white sandy beaches and blue waters, it is also increasingly famous for its varied activities and adventures such as scuba diving, sharks and sandboarding.
– In the heart of the Garden Route, you will find Knysna. There is a lot to do here, such as swimming at Bollard Beach, discovering the Knysna Forest, diving in the lagoon, visiting the Knysna Elephant Park and much more.
– Tsitsikama National Park : Tsitsikama means “place of abundant or sparkling water” in the Khoi language or “place of abundant or sparkling water”. You will find the national park between the mountains and the sea. It is a paradise for hikers and water sports enthusiasts, with its coastal landscapes, reefs, rivers and lush forests.
– Known as the ostrich capital of the world, Oudtshoorn is the sunniest city in South Africa. Don’t forget to visit the Cango Caves. It is the only exhibition cave in Africa, located in Precambrian limestone at the foot of the Swartberg Range.
– If you are looking to spend time on an immaculate beach, Plettenberg Bay is the ideal stop when travelling on the Garden Route. For water sports enthusiasts, you can surf, skimboard and body board, all the popular activities here. But you can also enjoy beautiful hikes, golf or cycling here. Whatever activity you choose, you will enjoy your time here.
– At 30 minutes from Port Elizabeth, you will have the opportunity to spend a day in the only self drive safari on the Garden Route, Addo Elephant Park. If you are lucky you will see the Big Five !